2010年3月28日 星期日

about the copy right

I am from mainland China and before coming to Hong Kong I did not realize something that related to copy right, we download movies music and software from the websites. I know it is an illegal thing however everyone around you does so, therefore just can't see the reason why not doing the same thing as they do. (Ok this is the way our Chinese people survive, please do not judge).
When I came to Hong Kong the copyright is highlighted here just like those in western countries. Even put a book in a copy machine could put you in a jail. So give a second thought when you are doing the copy. When we write papers professors emphasis the importance of the declaration of original work. Make sure that our reference is APA style and when quote someone's word we have to use quote and unquote. The access of the website has some restriction as well. I still remember that Google China could give you a million accesses to the music that you want and you can download then as you want. Here in Hong Kong we don't have that right and we can view movies and video clips however here only YouTube is available. I know respect the intelligence property is crucial, but it all depends on what situation you are in. Especially right now the CALL is a great tool to teach language and we sometimes have to use some part of the movie or the trailer of the movie to students to demonstrate the knowledge that we want to present are we going to ask an official permission to do that? If so the world is outrageous.
I agree that when things are related to publish it has to have a clear statement of the resource of the reference, because publish one's paper is really a big deal and the research is not an easy thing. However if I am going to be arrested just because I play a movie in front of our class I think that's really ridiculous. But I have to go for the side of original work, because in China the phenomena of copy is very server and no one really write something, they steal others results and turn it into their own language and there you go a whole new research paper is born. This is really a huge impact on those who put their hearts in the academic and not in a good way.
Another thing bothers me is that after finishing our group wiki page we can’t even make it go public due to some copy of others work. But I think it is a great reference for all of us no matter now or in the future. Sometimes if we still can refer back to what we did before to look for more ideas that’ll be awesome. But I respect the copyright.

2 則留言:

  1. True, the phenomenon of copying is extremely severe in the mainland China. So maybe in schools, a checking system like "turn it in" could be used~ Scare someone~

    回覆刪除
  2. i am lucky that my school gives very clear instructions to us so that we can follow them most of the time. but still, there is time that is hard for us.... god bless the principal

    回覆刪除